Sunday, December 18, 2022

I'm dreaming of a Corax White Christmas...


The goblin finally got added to a bauble and hung on the tree this year.



It's been a strange old year, only one wargame show (No Salute this year), extreme weather for Britain (hot and now cold), an unnaturally high number of Prime Ministers in Downing Street and on a personal note I started a new job after being in the same role for over a decade I really didn't see coming. (I won't bore you with the details of my day job, you are here to hear about toy soldiers after all). It has meant though that hobbying has slowed down a little bit of late. Some evenings I have just wanted to veg in front of the tv after learning lots of new things. Therefore I think I am due a recharge and what better than signing up for a second year to the Analogue Hobby Challenge again. Yep, I'm going to be trying to finish something at least once a week again and post on the challenge. I'm not sure I shall be as prolific as last year, but we shall see. I find it can be a little like an addiction once I get going, so who know. You can see my posts under the label PeterB. (Although any posts before last year aren't me, there was obviously another PeterB doing the challenge before me, I'm not sure how confusion will be avoided if he decides to come back again.)

Therefore I have been busy building and undercoating everything I can lay my mits on in the leadpile. If it needs painting, it has been prepped ready to go. On multiple internet recommendations I tried undercoating using Halfords white primer spray and I have to say, despite the subzero temperatures outside when spraying under the cover of the garage door, it still gives good coverage. A great cheaper alternative to wargaming branded sprays and a larger can too. (I do tend to undercoat spray in massive batches and always use a whole can in one go.) I shall definitely be using it again.
 
I have recently finished off one more model before the challenge begins. I have continued to purchase the new sets from Archon Studio for Masters of the Universe. One of which is the evil Scare Glow.  The original toy of which glowed in the dark. (I suspect they came up with the idea befor the character.) Well, I couldn't not have a go at making mine glow could I? A quick bit of online research and I purchased some glow in the dark paint pigment, a few experiments with some sacrificial GW Grots and I don't think it turned out too bad. The pigment did make the paint a little thick and I have lost some small amount of detail on the model but I think it looks okay. I can use the excuse that it is hard to photograph things that glow in the dark, but you get the idea.


In the light.


In the dark.


So for now, time to temporarily pack away the paints, wrap some presents for the kids and maybe have a sneaky mince pie and hot chocolate. I hope the holiday season treats you well.












No comments:

Post a Comment