Thursday, April 13, 2023

Salute 2023 Preparation

 It's crept up on us again. Although there was no Salute last year, instead the last time I went to the Excel centre with the Distinguished Opponent (Brother in Law) was in November 2021 for what was officially Salute 2020. I am currently drinking from a mug I bought whilst there that says Salute 2019 (they are reduced to clear the next year) so I wonder sometimes if I even know what year it is now. Are you still with me?

So, anyway what I am trying to say is blimey, it's time to go to London again already. Distinguished Opponent will be coming, but Illustrious Opponent unfortunately has another engagement that day. Previous years for Salute I have traveled in quite a group, but it will probably just be the two of us. I will hopefully bump into some fellow bloggers and Analogue Hobby challengers on the day though and see some familiar faces. I have also bravely taken the step of changing my Facebook profile picture to a shot of myself rather than something I have painted for that one in a million chance that one of my social media followers might recognise me. (It all feels a little uncomfortable all this self promotion, but you have to push yourself sometimes don't you?)

 

 

Showing the full results of my painting during the Analogue Hobby Challenge

 Regular readers will know I like to go through the list of traders in advance of attending a show (see here ) here are some of my highlights I am looking forward to.


https://archon-studio.com/

They make great plastic kits that look nice and fit together lovely. I am addicted to painting their Masters of the Universe range so I will probably pick up some more from them.

They are just a joy to paint

 


 

https://www.blackscorpionminiatures.com/

They always have excellent quality sculpts, my particular favourite being their Old West range. They are slightly heroic in style rather than realistic, but they look good.

https://www.bluegiantstudios.co.uk/

Blue Giant sell Atlantis miniatures, the most stunning being the range of dwarfs. They do fall within the category of "that looks cool but wouldn't fit in with anything else I have" but as I am painting more now just for the love of painting, why not.

https://www.crocodilegames.com/

Back in the annuls of time at one my early visits to Salute I picked up some Spartans from Crocodile Games. I had probably recently seen the film 300 and they seemed cool. I have recently started expanding them into more of an army for something like Dragon Rampant or Gods and Mortals. Therefore it might be worth another visit to maybe grab some of their Amazons.

https://hfminis.co.uk/

I love Hasslefree Miniatures. They have beautiful sculpts. I know they have had some issues, bad luck and illnesses. I am sure they will have some great new models I haven't seen that I will need to grab though.

https://www.mitchesmilitarymodels.co.uk

Lastly, not really for myself but for the Distinguished Opponent to visit. He doesn't know it yet but when he reads this he will. This company does some great looking 75mm scale models and the Father in Law will probably want us to pick something up from these guys once he has read this too. 

 

Previous years we have had a go at speed painting and that is now a must. It will be the third time so that makes it tradition, right? I am also sticking my neck out and entering something in the show painting competition (caveat, I may still chicken out so don't take this as a definite decision.) I fully don't expect to win anything or even place, but I'm embracing the adventure of it all. Some people go bungie jumping or white water rafting, this is my level of adrenaline kick.

So, if you are attending Salute too, I hope you have a great day, if not, have a great day anyway. I will try and remember to take some photos, I can't promise I won't forget half way through the day from having too much fun. I'll let you know how my day went when I get back.


10 comments:

  1. Good luck at Salute. We have not been for years. This is mainly because the Excel is a dreadful venue. Also a lot of trade seems to avoid the show because of costs and reduced footfall.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Salute? Oh god NO! Simon

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nope, we are not going either

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am not going to Salute either. It’s just awful now including the journey to and from the Excel. The best of British to anyone attending, Phil C

    ReplyDelete
  5. I will be staying at home as I cannot stand what Salute has become over the years. Have not attended since 2007. The costs of going with petrol, parking, congestion charge, entrance and the like means I would probably spend £60-80 before even seeing a stand. Rail is not a viable option for me either. I agree the Excel is an appalling venue.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Have to agree with all of the above. I have got a cupboard full of gaming stuff to complete and do not need to buy more. Looked at the traders list for this year. Cannot say that I am that impressed, do not know who half of the trade are. Probably could not see them anyway with the poor lighting and do not get me started on the Excel Centres floor. Think the Warlords need to rethink the whole set up for the show. Pretty sure shows will die out as the gaming community gets older. I see quite a lot of the small shows local to me have become unviable.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sorry the above was written by me, Mike

    ReplyDelete
  8. Not been to Salute for over a decade. I do not miss it, very expensive to attend. Gone are the halcyon days of Kensington Town Hall. Replaced by the soulless Excel Centre aircraft hanger. I looked at the traders list for this year. I do not know who half of them are or what they sell. I see the last Salute was a failure and am not surprised.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I do not know anyone personally that attends Salute now

    ReplyDelete
  10. I wonder if the traders and demo games will actually turn up. There were problems with this last time. Phil C

    ReplyDelete