Thursday, August 24, 2023

Zulu war Lancers

The plans to have a go at something historical continues. I had bought a copy of Ospreys Men Who Would be Kings, which is a nice neat system (similar to Dragon Rampant) and was using that book as a guide to what to buy. Another box of plastic Zulus from Perry's was a must as even at skirmish level you need a lot. 

I bought some MDF movement trays Warbases for them to aid in play.

I then wanted to get something else for the Brits, so some cavalry was a must. 


They are metal from Perry's and as usual a lovely sculpt. I do think the actual lances themselves are going to be prone to bending or even snapping easily, they may have to get replaced with brass rods in the future.

The pendant flags are hand painted paper, a strip of masking tape down some paper meant I could paint a crisp red line, then the shapes were just cut from the paper. A thin coat of Modge Podge makes them nice and firm for shaping into dynamic, flapping shapes.

I've no idea if the horse colouring is historically accurate, I just decided to have  bit of fun painting them all different colours. Just like everyone else I speak to, I hate painting horses, all that tack is a pain to do. 

I did get to use some of the models, for a game of Blood and Steel at the local club I took my Zulus. It was a fun system and I would play it again. I'm really not well read on this era so I picked up a copy of Daniel Mersey's A Wargamer's Guide to the Anglo-Zulu Wars. It's a a great introductory read to the history and how it relates to the tabletop. I found myself using the Horns of the Buffalo in our game as a valid tactic. 

Talking of the club, our annual show Colours, at Newbury Racecourse is swiftly approaching. I shall be on the Bring and Buy stall for a lot of the day, so come say hi. It's always busy there but that just shows its worth coming for a peruse.  It is on the 9th of September, more details can be found here. As I'm volunteering for the show this year I may not be able to review the show as a punter like previously, but I'm sure I'll have some comments to make afterwards. Looking forward to seeing you all there!

No comments:

Post a Comment