Monday, June 4, 2018

Dubya, Dubya Two

I like to wargame Hollywood style.

So, you may have noticed, the next generation of wargamers are getting into historical, myself included. The "Old Guard" (and I don't think they'd mind being called that) started wargaming with Waterloo, D-Day, Culloden and Isandlwana. We started our tabletop gaming with Spam vs Orks and The Empire vs Chaos. In my opinion this has meant we are approaching historical wargaming in a different way.

The perfect example of the new type of historical gaming comes from Warlord Games. A company that has taken a huge chunk of the Games Workshop business model and applied it to Historical wargaming. Its no surprise that my current favourite companies, Warlord, Hasslefree and Perry Miniatures are all set up by ex- GW. I think this different approach to historical gaming means I prefer a more Hollywood style game. I got into Napoleonics because of Sharpe, a lot of my WW2 knowledge comes from reading Stephen Ambrose after enjoying Band of Brothers and I can't play a game in the Old West without hearing Jon Bon Jovi in the back of my mind.

 One of my favourite sets of rules is the Warhammer Historical, Legends of the Old West. These rules are definitely a representation of movie cowboys rather than accurate representation of the period. I have always dabbled with using existing rule sets for my own ends and felt that these rules could easily be adapted to make a Hollywood style WW2 skirmish. (The book itself even makes many suggestions for tweaking the rules for other periods including Tommie Guns in the Prohibition Era.)



To this end I produced an extensive set of rules with four factions for the period, Hellboy and the BPRD, Captain America and his howling Commandos,  Female Russian spies and their Werebear bodyguards and The Red Skull leading his Agents of Hydra. I added rules for various period weapons, some light vehicles and even rules for Steve Rogers ricocheting his Star Spangled Shield off multiple enemies. After a hardcore weekends gaming I felt it worked. The Germans couldnt hit a barn door, Captain America acted suitably heroically and the Russian Werebears (beatiful models from Warlord Games Konflict 47 range which my painting has not done justice.) were horrifically over powerful in combat, only one fell, after the German armoured car it was tearing to pieces exploded in his face.
We finished the weekend with an attack on the Hydra base. (I love my Terraclips terrain, go buy some!) The Red Skull and Captain America facing off at the end in classic fisticuffs. For our next time I intend on adding some tanks to the skirmish and maybe some more generic Germans.

Most of the models I used were from Warlord games. The Russian female spies were from Bad Squiddo. Hellboy was from Hasslefree with some green stuff to convert him slightly. The Hydra Agents were from a bring and buy, so sadly I don't know the manufacturer. (If anyone has an idea, let me know.) Apologies to any other manufacturer I have missed.








No comments:

Post a Comment