Friday, October 15, 2021

Orctober and other random paints



Yep, its an Orc, there you go, that's Orctober covered. It's a 3D print from the same range as the Kobolds in a previous post. I mainly did it to try out the contrast paint I bought from GW to see what all the fuss is about. I've gotta say, it took a couple of coats to get any kind of green coverage that I was happy with and it still looks quite pale. Yes, you do get a shading and highlighted look, but I don't think it is any quicker. Maybe next time I'll try painting it over a colour rather than white. 

Moving on I've been jumping about projects lately, just enjoying grabbing things from the lead pile and experimenting. In a random box I found some tyranids I had rescued from a car boot sale. Every now and then you find that golden find. Somebodies child has expressed an interest in wargaming and so the parents have forked out a good chunk of change on a trip to GW and bought them a whole army, some paints and glue. A half-hearted has been made by the kid to put them together and start painting, but it's nobodies fault, the kid doesn't know what they are doing and the parents have no experience either. It all gets thrown in a box until one day in a clearout it ends up at the carboot. 
Half the fun is trying put it all back together again, stripping paint, scraping off glue, putting parts together again. Yes there are some models beyond help that end up in the bits box. Random unidentified bits of lead go in a pile to be passed on to the father in law for melting down and turning into Victorian 40mm casts. Nothing gets wasted. Except maybe the box it all comes in which is covered in horrific paintings of kittens that freak Mrs Lead out so much she refuses to allow it to stay in the house. (Seriously they weren't cute, they were just weird, with intense staring blue eyes.)
So yes, I decided to go real old school bright colour and go for a neon pink look.

Next up is a cute little adventuring mouse that a friend 3D printed for me as part of a bundle of models to say thank you for painting his viking commission. I remember as a kid watching the animated movie Secret of Nimh based on the book Mrs Frisby and the Rats of Nimh, this model would make a great Mrs Frisby. Although the tuft I have added to the base has ended up making her look like a squirrel.

Finally, to keep on the anthropomorphic theme, I have Squeepiosa the Guinea Pig from Bad Squiddo games. It's just a fun looking model so I decided to give it a go and it did not disappoint. Sometimes when you paint something, the paint just does as it is told and this was one of those occasions. For some reason the Coat D'arms red paint had just the right consistency that all I had to do was give it the gentlest of drybrushing with a GW white on top and it actually looks almost like a real watermelon.

Gaming wise it's still been a bit sparse. My youngest has been dipping his toe in the wargaming world with the first couple of issues of the bit part magazine from Games Workshop so we have been playing some random games of a version of Warhammer 40K that I can remember from the top of my head, I would say probably somewhere between version 3 and 4. No points values and pretty much equal numbers of models on the table, so his Space Marines have been slightly superior to my cultist guard. It was just fun to roll some dice.  I've been trying to teach him that it is just fun to play and winning isn't really the objective and I think we are getting somewhere with that.

I'm positively itching to get out to a wargame show, in fact seeing all the photos and videos from Partizan last weekend  definitely whet my appetite. I'm already thinking about which tube route to take across London to the Excel next month. 


No comments:

Post a Comment