Thursday, July 8, 2021

Kobolds, kobolds, kobolds!


On our adventures in these mysterious lands on one occasion we happened upon these strange mischievous creatures dwelling in a cave at the base of a dormant volcano. Possessing some form of intelligence, these small reptilian bipeds seemed to converse with each other in a language that sounded similar to the loud calls of the large flying, fire breathing reptiles that are so reminiscent of the dragons of our myths. Their intelligence became obvious when one of our local guides pointed out the intricate traps they had set up to defend their nests that included trip wires, falling boulders and even one instance of a rather extraordinary example of the shape shifting creature we had previously only heard about on our travels known to the locals as a mimic. This mimic had against all laws of nature, managed to manipulate its own hide and shape to that of a rather handsome looking armoire.
Their society seems to revolve around the worship of the aformentioned dragons. According to our guide, escalation in the ranks of the society relies mostly on an individual bearing the most "dragon-like" features. In fact the apparent leader of this group seemed to even have wings of her own. Whether they were practical in use, we were never able to find out. Our brief visit was cut short when the tribe discovered our party observing them and seemed to decide to attack for no reason. Despite being diminitive in nature, they made up for this in numbers and we were soon in danger of being overwhelmed unless we made a quick exit. Luckily it was still daylight outside as we left the caverns, the creatures were not keen on venturing out under the glaring sun. We lost only one of our local guides in this escapade, a Mr Jack Lightfoot, quite violently to the afforementioned armoire. 
 
Extract from "My extraordinary adventures in the otherworldly lands through the thaumaturgical portal." by Sir Frederick Hawkins, Naturalist and Gamehunter.

 
These kobolds are from Worlds in Miniature and were a free sample to review on my blog. They are 3D printed in resin and came with mdf bases.
 
 
They take paint really well, I undercoated by hand with a watered down white and it took just one coat. Some resin models don't take paint well until at least two coats even after a good scrubbing with soapy water. With these models, this was not the case.
 
 
 
 
 
At first I thought they wouldn't take me long to paint at all, but I ended up taking my time to really enjoy picking out the details. They are full of character and will make a great addition to my dungeon crawl monster collection.
 

I wanted to keep their look quite bright, so I avoided ink for the main body. Instead I painted a base orange colour and then just highlighted up through yellow and white. The only inking is reserved for the leather bindings on the ankles and wrists. I kept the bases simple as I will probably use them on dungeon tiles, so they would look weird with flock or tufts added.

I was looking at my website stats and realised I missed the three year mark on this blog. I started back in May 2018 and I'm still waffling on. Bizarrely some of you are still reading too. I'm sure the 1200 views from Sweden this week must be some kind of hacking attempt (or maybe its genuine, I mean I painted a Viking? Is there a mass need for the Swedes to see painted busts of vikings?) Overall though I'm chuffed to see that my blog gets readership and not just via my endless spamming on Facebook, some peeps even wander in via Bing. (Even Bing's bizarre search algorithms find me.) Obviously I'm still small fry in the world of wargame blogging, but hey who knows what may happen in another three years...
 
If you have got this far and enjoy reading my blog, why not let me know by making a small donation, you can buy me a coffee here. Thanks, it is very much appreciated.  

No comments:

Post a Comment