Monday, March 29, 2021

Bad Squiddo Special


So I was lucky enough to have a small parcel sent to me by Bad Squiddo games of master casts of just two of their new upcoming WW2 Soviets. Squiddo already have an excellent range available here, the new additions are in winter kit. 


For those not aware of the company, Bad Squiddo do not do gimicky female versions of historical uniforms, these are researched, genuine historical looks. 


As always, the models were well cast with no flash and took very little prep work before I painted. I have just treated myself to some brand new brushes from Black Hat miniatures so I had a dream painting these. All done with GW and Coat D'arms paints. The khaki colour was my own mix of GW death guard green and Zandra dust. Coat D'arms dark brown super shader did all the magic afterwards. (including turning what started out a redhead into a blonde.)
I wanted to do something different than my normal basing, so in front of the models you can see the test base that worked so well I had to put it in the shot. I used Vallejo Thick Mud acrylic, a pure white drybrush on top, then some light flocking followed by more white drybrushing. Hopefully that gives that frosty ground look.

The Kickstarter goes live this Wednesday and only runs for a week so look up Bad Squiddo on your usual Social Media for the links on Wednesday to get hold of these Soviets.

And in between painting these two (at what I might add a super quick pace for me.) you have to have something to do while the inks and glues dry. So I thought I should finish this mounted Freyja that has been sat half done on the painting tray since Christmas. 

I have recently learnt that this style of having a solid green trim on bases is a 90's style and not the done thing anymore. I couldn't for the life of me think of what people were doing now, so I had to actually look through instagram at some models to see what people are doing. Turns out, leave it black or paint it dark brown now is the done thing. It may be garish to some, but I think I'm going to keep with the green.


No comments:

Post a Comment