Monday, March 25, 2019

Ragnarok!


No, not the Marvel Movie, the original end of days. I'll be there, will you?

So, I thought my next post would be the great pre Salute prep post, but this came up today and I had to get my thoughts out there on the subject.
So, as you know I love Opsrey Wargames books, every now and then I am on my phone browsing the web and I exclaim, "Osprey have bloody done it again!"
"They have made another book you want, haven't they, my darling?" my encouraging and understanding wife asks.
Of course they have.

Cover presumably copyright Osprey publishing.

A dramatic cover, I hear you say. Well, that is the idea. Apparently, from the minimal infomation gleaned from the Osprey pages and the Facebook group. (I declared to my wife, I have been accepted to Ragnarok! What are you doing at the end of times?!) This game is meant to be played with an accompanying musical track of Heavy Metal tunes.

Remember this? Now can someone make a wargame out of this!

Written by Tim Korklewski, the game is a skirmish system with minimum 7 a side where you don't just hit each other with swords and axes. Apparantly you will be pushing and throwing your opponents around the battlefield using a mechanic called the Godspark. It's campaign driven, I am guessing your campaign ends when the great world tree finally topples and the realms come to an end. It's a very definite strong beat to a skirmish campaign system, something that normally just ends up being, whose gang ends up being the richest?
You can browse the first couple of pages of the book on the Osprey website here.

Now I definitely have some hardcore metalheads for wargaming friends, my normal Illustrious Wargaming Opponent isn't one of them, but I reckon he would still give it a go as long as we kept the volume down (although can one actually really listen to AC\DC or Iron Maiden with the volume down?). As you know I already have started some Footsore Vikings, so next month at Salute I think I shall be bringing out my inner Kappi to fight past the backpacks and trolley suitcases (when did they become a good idea?) and pick up some more suitable dramatic axe wielding warriors.

No comments:

Post a Comment