Sunday, April 7, 2019

Post, Post Apocalyptic show post

Another Salute has been and gone.

This dude just kept popping up everywhere.


I did as promised, I did some live posting on Facebook of the day, although not loads as I was too busy enjoying myself. The journey wasn't terrible after all. All the panic about DLR stations being closed and finding alternative routes didn't phase the brother in law and I in the end. We made good time and in fact arrived in the queuing hall before 9am, a record even! Brother in law even had time to grab a coffee at Canning Town.


As I posted yesterday, it was a pleasant surprise to receive two models in the grab bag as we went in this year:

The model on the left is from Archon Studio. I've not heard from them before and the freebie did its job as I was intrigued and paid them a visit. They seemed to have a couple of prototypes of models and a generic dungeon terrain piece for D&D etc. A couple of things that did seem weird about the dungeon prototype was that they were stating it held together with magnets (not included) and their initial designs showed gridding on the floor but the model did not. Not really helpful for roleplaying on I suggested, this was received with a shrug. I wonder if this is a company to watch or are they going too big too soon. The sprue for the freebie model looks interesting though, I shall see how it goes together.
I was determined this year to not just shop and so one activity I wanted to do join in on was the speed painting competition. Twenty minutes to paint a Walking Dead zombie. Not really my kind of model, but I was determined to give it a go. There was a really fun vibe at the table with some great friendly banter. I didn't win the round, but that didn't bother me at all, it was the most twenty minutes fun painting I have had in a long time. I am definitely doing it again next year.

Brains...

So, shopping wise, what did I get? Well, I didn't get everything I wanted. I forgot that Perry don't bring metal, so no BEF, but that can wait. I did get my Frostgrave wizards that were launched yesterday and I also picked up some Frostgrave Female warriors, so some mix and matching and I shall make a couple of Female wizards too.
I made a visit to Bad Squiddo and had a quick chat with Sophie from Needy Cat Games who was helping out. We discussed our shared love of the need to populate a tabletop dungeon with physical items and so of course I picked up some of the new pieces, I shall be using them for Advanced Heroquest.
This is two sets mixed together. The sculpts are awesome.

I grabbed a years subscription to Wargames Illustrated so with my £20 voucher for Warlord I picked up a new villain for my WW2 game. Captain America will have to come out of the deep freeze again!


 I picked up Halvdan from Hasslfree miniatures and a rather dramatic looking Custer from Black Scorpion.


I managed to meet up with the Illustrious Wargaming Opponent for a grand total of around five minutes, but as he is the wargamer I spend most time chucking dice with, we both didn't mind I'm sure. We both compared notes later and I'm sure will do so more later. I did manage however to meet up with some complete strangers at a Bloggers meetup. As I get older and grumpier I convince myself that I don't have the energy to meet new people but in reality I guess I can still have a slight attack of the shyness, so I gave myself a kick and followed through on the promise to meet up with some fellow online scribes. A brief meet, but I did get a few tips and it is nice to know I am not alone out there in the blogsphere.
Finally, I need to make an apology. In my last blog I suggested avoiding Forgeworld at Salute this year and I would like to apologise for this. Not for the suggestion to avoid them, but for suggesting that they would be there. After all my talk of researching my visit I just assumed GW would be at Salute and they weren't.

3 comments:

  1. Great post Pete, was great to meet you at the bloggers meet up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ray. Great to meet you too. It was a relief to find I'm not alone! I shall hopefully see you next year too.

      Delete
    2. Yep and now I know who you are it'll make it easier.

      Delete