Wednesday, September 8, 2021

Looking forward to Shows

So, it's been a while, once again. For this I apologise, but then there really hasn't been much to talk about. The paintbrushes have remained dry for the last month or so to be honest. Sometimes life just gets busy. Especially as it has been the school holidays. So, what can I talk about? Well, a nice surprise came in the post this week, the models from the Bad Squiddo Kickstarter I ordered.

Bad Squiddo Annie very kindly popped I'm extra colouring pencils and colouring book into my parcel as I got a quiz question right on a Sunday morning coffee chat, which will mean myself and youngest can have a book each and do some colouring together. The colouring book is full of awesome pictures of Bad Squiddo minis, I particularly like the montage on the last page.

Gaming wise, I'm still playing Pathfinder with the Illustrious Opponent and friends. In fact currently running a slightly longer than one shot myself where the players are all Goblins who have found they have the run of the dungeon they are supposed to be keeping tidy. It took a good couple of nights prep work to write, so I'm glad that my friends seem to be enjoying it. Plus it gives the Illustrious Opponent a well deserved break from his usual GM duties.

For those of you reading from abroad (yep the Moldovians are still reading this, for which I am grateful) Lockdown life in the UK has started to get back to normal, well a little. I am going in to the office a couple of days a week and have ventured out on a couple of occasions to a few well organised safe public events. (Still being cautious though and doing regular at home Covid tests). I went to a Knitting and Wool show at Newbury racecourse with Mrs Lead at the weekend, which made me think of our own local Wargame show that normally occurs at the same venue. Sadly this year our show has not taken place, a decision I am sure the organisers didn't take lightly and I understand why. There are however, some shows to look forward to later in the year and they will be here before we know it. 
First we have South London Warlords' Salute on November 13th. They have released the list of demonstration games here. Briefly, games of note I am looking forward to are:

Bad Squiddo games Guinea Pigs and Bunny Rabbits dukeing it out in a post apocalyptic wasteland.

Crooked Dice 7TV Pulp TV. I have bought a fair few Crooked Dice models, but never tried their rules, now is my chance.

Eavier metal speed painting competition. The brother-in-law and I had immense fun doing this on our last visit to the show. A must this year.

The Silver Bayonet from Osprey Games. You know I love an Osprey ruleset. I've got to try this new one, after all I already have plenty of Napoleonic models.

South London Warlords Aliens Anniversary. I suspect this game will be popular, but if I get a chance I might have a go.

Following closely on the heels from Salute, the Wargames Association of Reading present Warfare 2021 on the 27th and 28th of November. This year not actually taking place in Reading though, but at Ascot Racecourse. I understand why, their usual venue isn't available and I know for a fact a racecourse makes a great venue.

 I'm wondering how well attended some of these shows will be, on the one hand people will be excited to get out and see each other again, but then will all these delayed shows all crammed together at the end of the year and people being careful cause footfall to be lower. We shall see, I for one will be excited, but also armed with a face mask and plenty of hand sanitiser.

So, maybe I shall see you at a show, you won't know its me unless I say something though. Maybe I should invest in a t-shirt or something...

2 comments:

  1. I'm going to avoid shows for the rest of this year and see how things look before going to any in 2022, I think. I do miss shows, though, especially Colours which is always a nice day out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can understand, Carol. There is obviously still some risk. The racecourse did feel safe at the weekend, but then part of that was due to the low footfall I think. I've yet to go somewhere that is super busy.

    ReplyDelete