Saturday, February 20, 2021

How to avoid painting what is on your workbench.

Well, January happened. I watched nine seasons of the American Office and four seasons of Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt. Yep, I got lost in a Netflix well. In fact it was a couple of weeks after Christmas before the paints even got unpacked again but that's okay. Lockdown three here in the UK kinda got to me and I decided I didn't need to do anything that needed any more effort than stare at the TV in my evenings. I think you could probably say I hit a wall. Which isn't like me at all, things don't phase me normally, I'm a glass half full kind of person, but I think I just needed a month to be mentally shut off for a bit. I think I'm back now though.

Anyway, back to the toy soldiers. What's been on the workbench? Well firstly I painted the above Cat Paladin from Bad Squiddo. I ordered it as soon as it hit the website back before Christmas and it's been sat waiting since. I did start some Zulu war plastics, they are all glued together and undercoated, then I got stuck. I think I got daunted by the numbers just sitting there and I needed to step back and paint a single model to get back into the swing of things. So, Cat Paladin it was. 
Also I've been keeping an eye on EBay for a Games Workshop item. (Yep I know right? It's like they have you hooked for life.) As you may know I'm a fan of Dan Abnett and have been reading this doorstop of a book.



Now, a few years back GW produced a limited edition resin of one of these Characters called Eisenhorn to celebrate their publishing arm's anniversary. (tenth I think) I missed it at the time, but I've been keeping an eye on EBay for a reasonably priced one. Well, one finally came up.

As a resin piece it was super delicate but I managed to put it together without any mishaps. They call it Finecast resin and the sculpt is super detailed but I smell trickery with the photo in the accompanying paperwork. Either the model loses detail with repeated casts or the model they painted was larger than 28mm scale because there are details in the photo that aren't on my model. It's still a cool model though and I didn't pay more than retail price for it so I'm not too bothered.

Finally this week was a week of experimentation. I ordered a D&D Wizards of the Coast model from Amazon to see what the quality was like. They do large plastic models for various dungeon type creatures, which in resin or metal would definitely break the bank. So I went for a Tyranosaurus Rex.

They also come pre-primed so no need for undercoating, just get painting. (This makes me so happy.) I did need to attach the tail however which did not quite fit snugly. A bit of plastic putty filled the gap though.

I then couldn't decide what colour scheme to paint so I did some tests on some plastic spiders I had found at a car boot sale a few years back, but more on that in a moment. So, one finished Tyranosaurus Rex.

So, back then to the spiders. So, I had painted the spiders now, so I had to paint the goblins that go on top of them if course. Then, if I'd already painted them, why not paint a few more goblins. Then, why not paint the whole goblin army, it's already undercoated.
So, yeah this week I painted an entire goblin army.
And that is how you procrastinate enough to avoid painting Zulu war british.

No comments:

Post a Comment