Friday, September 11, 2020

Another show passes by.

As I write this post I should be delving through my lead mountain to see what has remained unloved for another year and I can bear to be parted with to take to the bring and buy. Yes, tomorrow should have been Colours wargame show at Newbury racecourse. Regular readers will know this is my home turf show and so my first love when it comes to show attendance, so it bites particularly hard to know it should have been happening tomorrow.

I took my youngest to his first show last year at Colours, he still remembers being a Conquistador. It' amazing how many times it comes up in conversation. How many six year olds can even say conquistador, never mind casually drop the word into conversation. So obviously there is disappointment there that we aren't going this year. But I think I must admit, my disappointment is still greater.
 
There has been countless discussions about this online already and I'm not here to start endless debate. As much as I am disappointed, I agree with why the show isn't going ahead. We are so lucky to live in a digital age where internet allows us to order online and I have even seen examples of tabletop games being played by webcam. (unfortunately I don't have the space for the luxury of a permanently set up table but a man can dream) Conventions have been run online (Bovington Tankfest was a highlight), multiple Facebook groups have sprung up, companies are having weekly Youtube live broadcasts (Crook Dice on a Saturday and Bad Squiddo on a Sunday are particular interactive favourites of mine. Who's got time for terestial tv anymore?) The internet has allowed me to actually have more hobby interaction in the last few months than ever before, even if it has been of a different kind.
 
So, what next for actually playing with Lead? Well, I sent the brother in law a copy of Dragon Rampant from Osprey in the post as subtle hint that he might want to possibly start a fantasy army and stop painting those Spam marines of his. Luckily he took the hint. The rules suggest choosing an army of 24 points, possibly choosing less for your first game if you can't quite make that number. So, I have managed to work out a 24 point force using my recently painted Barbarians.
 
 
The whole 24 points
 
Frostgrave Barbarians with two handed weapons
 
Frostgrave Barbarians with sword and shield 

Mix of old GW wolves from the depths of my bits box 

Jarl Lathgertha from Bad Squiddo. (I'm not gonna lie I chose this model for the horse)
 
I've yet to come up with a name for my leader, but I'm sure something suitable will spring to mind. So, the Brother in Law has read the rule book and loves it so much he has ordered some models to paint up and we will be getting in a game at some date as yet undecided. His point total so far? 48 points. I better keep painting.

4 comments:

  1. I'm pretty sure there's gonna be no shows this year. Pretty gutted! YOur figures look pretty cool too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ray. I'm really loving this new painting style I'm doing now. No more black undercoating for me. It's all about the Coat D'arms supershader. As for the shows? I think we just have to keep our fingers crossed for Salute I think.

      Delete
  2. Nice little barbarian army there. The general looks just right, excellent pose.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're too kind. She was solely chosen for the pose. The spear is a conversion too. I felt her original axe was a tad undramatic.

    ReplyDelete