Sunday, August 9, 2020

Another Dragon Rampant army


So the Dragon Rampant painting continues. I start with a Bad Squiddo "Jarl Lathgertha". I swapped out her axe though for a plastic spear from the Frostgrave Barbarians sprue. I felt she needed something more intimidating to match the drama of her rearing steed.


In both shots I have since noticed that she looks like she  is wearing sunblock on her nose. I assure you, she is not. After going all fancy with laying out flock for the photo shot I'm not retaking.

My first unit for her to lead are a twelve man two handed weapon bearing set of barbarians from the Frostgrave Barbarian box. I love these gruff looking guys, its hard not to give them all grey and white hair.


I've pretty much used the same technique I used for the other Frostgrave plastics. A base paint of colours and then covered with Coat D'arms dark brown wash. They were a joy to paint with lots of detail in furs and shaggy beards. The weapons look suitably hefty like they really could do some damage if you didn't get out of their way quick enough.
 

I kept the head with the helm for just one of the guys so he would be a clear leader. Not that it is necessary for Dragon Rampant, but in case I want to use them for any other system. 
I kept the palette of colours for them to a limited number and they all share the same pallette. They may have them in different places, but they all share the same colours with Jarl as well. Her only addition is the blue on her shield and horse blanket.


 I've been contemplating my painting lately. I love sharing online with others, but it is a double edged sword, I also see the highest of quality painting that people share that is far superior to my own. Then I decided it was okay. Luckily I have experienced nothing but positivity from the online wargaming community since I started my blog. (I think I'm just too smallfry to attract the weirdos)  I realised that just some peoples models are painted as one off highest quality pieces for display, or painting competitions and some are painted quicker. If I even tried to paint a whole army to that higher level, I'd never get the whole army painted. It's okay to paint to different levels of quality. A unit of 60 redcoats painted to basic standard looks amazing on the table all lined up, you don't need to paint the pupils in the eyes of each individual one.
Save the effort for when you paint Wellington, that is when you can take the week to paint the model. (I will admit though after a week my Wellington still looks like I spent a day on him) I love getting inspiration from other painters online, but I don't have to compare myself to them. I'm happy with what I paint, I love what you all paint.



No comments:

Post a Comment