Saturday, March 21, 2020

Self Isolation


Well Spring has begun, the lambs are frolicking, the sun is out and heating has been turned down slightly. I wasn't going to post anything about our current predicament with Covid-19 as many comments have been made, but it felt weird not commenting.
As wargamers and readers of military history we are all fully aware of the limits of human sacrifice that our forefathers went through. As many have commented, all we are being asked to do is stay at home and wash our hands. We've all got lead mountains to get through and in the age of internet plenty to keep us entertained. (I wonder if Disney Plus will be able to cope with demand on launch day, Tuesday.) Yet we also know it's not gonna be that easy. I for one find my mental health is helped by looking forward to that next exciting thing in my life, whether it be seeing family, going to a wargame show, getting together with the Illustrious Opponent for some WW2. Not knowing when these things are going to happen next is hard. 

My health (although not horrific) does put me in the at risk category, so I'm working from home. My job supports key workers, so that helps me feel like I am contributing. It can be hard though when broadband demand and cheaper home kit means everything takes that little bit longer. Plus it's hard to step away from the computer at five o'clock when you know you could help one more person so their job. 
At least I'm lucky enough to have a job to keep working at. My thoughts are with all those self employed and small companies, especially wargame/boardgame companies obviously. I hope they all ride the storm and their absence won't be felt next year when shows start up again. 

Yes, we play with toy soldiers and that may seem trivial in this current crisis but playing with toy soldiers has introduced me to a community that I know will help ride this storm with the same kindness and community that I always see online and at shows over the years. If we stick together (but not too close) and look out for each other. I'm sure we'll get through this.
If you want to do something practical, donate to your local soup kitchen (they may have an Amazon wish list or a drop off point If you can get anything at your local Co-op while you are out.)  

Or donate to one here.

1 comment:

  1. Well said. I hope your health improves. I solo-wargame so my opponent lives in!

    ReplyDelete