Thursday, September 19, 2019

Make terrain and scatter

I have been painting a lot of brown this week. When you have an old west town in 28mm you have to invest in multiple shades of brown. Oh but the brown I have been painting. This week I have been painting scatter terrain. It's an exciting one, folks.

Now bear with me dear reader, this post is for the hardcore wargamer. I am going to deep dive on this one and compare the different price points I recently purchased for adding to my gaming table. Before I start, let me add that when looking for terrain for my table I have to consider a few things.
  • Storage. Space is limited in my home, so if it is large, if it folds down all the better, although in this case I am buying small items, so if they fit in my handy terrain drawer, brilliant.
  • Price. We're all on a budget, I don't need to explain this one, if it's going to be pricy, it better be really nice.
  • Useability. If an item is less period specific, ie I could use it for Napoleonic, WW2 and futuristic gaming, then it is actually worth triple its cost to me. Also, am I going to regularly use it?
As you may know I enjoy a game of Legends of the Old West, a 28mm scale skirmish game in the old west. Like a lot of skirmish games, having some cover on the table significantly improves the game. I have a significantly sized cowboy town for this game, but most of the table consists of Sarissa precision building kits (which usefully do flat pack down for storage) and then nice open streets. Time to give my cowboys some cover to duck down behind. All these items were purchased at Colours wargame show unpainted and were not given free for reviewing.

So, the first items I bought were from Iron Gate Scenery.  Each pack cost me £2.50 and contained five of each, crates and barrels. Now these items are 3D printed and if you look closely, you can see the horizontal lines of the printing process. Now, they are clearly advertised as such, but I obviously didn't notice this in my showday excitement. I don't have a 3D printer myself, but I do know people who do who could probably have printed something up something pretty similar. The detail isn't high end, but that is reflected in the price and these are good choice if you need to cover a lot of table on a small budget.

We go slightly up quality to a set of large crates from Grendel. I purchased these from Coritani Magnetic Displays. I have shown some terrain I have painted from this company on my blog before here. They sell their sets unpainted or painted. (It is very tempting to pay for them painted but although I am a terrible painter, I am tighter with my money.) The large crates are three identical "piles" or "stacks" of crates cast in resin for £8. They take paint really well and the detail is pretty good. The resin is a little brittle, you have to be careful not to drop these, they chip really easily. Obviously being identical they may look weird next to each other, but I think spacing them out with the rest of the terrain will work.
Finally we've gone slightly exciting. I picked up the food supplies basing kit for £10:

and the cargo supplies for £16 from Bad Squiddo games:
Now these are obviously slightly pricier, but the detail is awesome. I'm a terrible painter, so I've not done them justice, but you can make out carrots, sausages and lettuce in the food supplies. They are all cast in resin that takes paint really well and isn't brittle at all. The basing kit I have obviously stuck on my own bases through choice, they separate really well if you want to use them for details on a diarama or the base of a model. I couldn't afford to fill my entire cowboy town with this range of scatter terrain, but it definitely will come in handy for a few different game systems.

So, there you go, I told you it was an exciting one. I think I'm going to have to choose something nice a colourful for my next painting project. Put the brown paint away for a bit. Maybe something neon and cyberpunky...



No comments:

Post a Comment